June is a big month for HPE Storage.
Leading up to the HPE Discover Virtual Experience we had big news. We just announced some pretty exciting primary storage updates that center on Advancing Intelligence, Mission-Critical DR, Accelerating Apps, and On-Demand Automation. HPE Nimble Storage and HPE Primera are our stars of the day, and I have two ways for you to learn about what’s up: a Chalk Talk and a podcast.
Who doesn’t love a good Chalk Talk and I think I packed a lot into this 6 minutes so you can get a quick impression of what we announced. If you want to go deeper, I recorded a podcast with Sandeep Singh, VP of HPE Storage Marketing and Omer Assad, VP and GM of our primary storage business. We take a deep dive into all the enhancements and since there are 8 of them, this takes just over 30 minutes.
Before I share these with you, I’ll give you a short overview.
What’s the news?
In both the Chalk Talk and podcast, we talk about the news across four dimensions: Advancing Intelligence, Mission-Critical DR, Accelerating Apps, and On-Demand Automation. For HPE Nimble Storage and HPE Primera, there’s something to discuss for each of these. I’ll give a bit more detail on a few of these.
- HPE Primera enables autonomous, self-optimized system operations. There are two machine learning models running inside HPE Primera: a machine learning (ML) neural network that is globally trained from data collected across the installed base, and a long short-term memory model based on the local environment. These two ML models work together to predict app performance and resource needs, and act to optimize resource utilization. This one deserves its own blog post. In the world of primary storage, it is game-changing. For this, I pulled out the discussion in my podcast and turned it into a YouTube video. If you’re an HPE Primera customer or a 3PAR thinking about HPE Primera, this is game-changing (and I don’t like to throw around hype words)!
- HPE Nimble Storage gets cross-stack analytics extended to Microsoft Hyper-V. One of the most coveted features of the HPE InfoSight portal for customers has been the cross-stack analytics in VMware environments that give visibility and diagnostics into virtual resources, from VM to the storage system. We’re now bringing that intelligence to Hyper-V. This is great news, as around 30% of Nimble Storage customers host Hyper-V VMs on their arrays.
Mission-Critical Disaster Recovery
- Here we’re adding to the HPE Primera all-inclusive software with Peer Persistence and Async replication and near instant async replication over extended distances. HPE Primera has a robust set of DR solutions and what’s great is that it’s simple to set up, PLUS it’s all free with all-inclusive software.
- HPE Nimble Storage is a proven platform with 6-nines availability and now we’re adding to it with built-in 3 site asynchronous replication. That third site can be either an on-premises location or via cloud with HPE Cloud Volumes. And Nimble replication is very easy to set up, taking only a few clicks.
- We now have HPE Primera All-NVMe. You can have 500TB all NVMe and based on SAP HANA testing, now 2X the number of SAP HANA nodes at half the price.
- HPE Nimble Storage now has Storage Class Memory as a cache tier. Imagine having the performance of all SCM at close to the price of an all-flash array. I have a Chalk Talk that goes deeper on this so check it out. It’s available on existing or new AF60 and AF80 all flash arrays and we’re seeing with 2x faster response times and sub 250 microsecond average latency. I have a Chalk Talk I did giving more details on this.
- We have news around VMware vVols. HPE is #1 in the industry with more vVols deployed on HPE Storage than any other vendor. In fact, we have around 55% of all vVols on HPE, which is more than all the other vendors combined! We now have vVols and SRM integration for HPE Primera and HPE Nimble Storage. I think vVols lacking SRM was an inhibitor to more adoption of vVols so I’m really glad to see this.
- For container-ready storage automation for stateful apps, we’ve added HPE CSI driver for HPE Primera, and have had recent updates to Nimble’s CSI Driver. – This will give you software-defined storage and self-service for developers so you can run traditional and containerized applications on the same environment.
With that, let’s get to the multimedia. First here’s the Chalk Talk giving an overview of all the news.
To subscribe to the podcast, open this link and click on the “View in iTunes” button under my picture. If you don’t use iTunes, you can find my podcast on TalkShoe.com, Google Play Music., and I just added the podcast to Spotify Podcast, and Stitcher! On Google, you’ll get “invited” to try Google Play Music for 30 days. Just click “no thanks” to get past this and get to the podcast.
Here’s what we talked about in the podcast with an approximate start time for that part:
- 0:00 – Intros
- 1:30 – Overview of the announcement
- 2:35 – Advancing Intelligence
- 17:45 – Accelerating Applications
- 24:15 – On-Demand Automation
- 29:00 – Mission-Critical Disaster Recovery
- 33:20 – Discover Virtual Experience preview and podcast wrap-up
You’ll see more blog posts diving deeper into the news. Here’s what else you can find:
- AI that acts on your behalf! It’s here NOW focuses on HPE Primera from product marketing manager Matt Morrissey
- HPE Nimble Storage celebrates a decade of innovation and steps into the future from my long-time HPE Storage colleague Simon Watkins.
There are more technical blogs that published on our HPE Storage Tech Insiders blog. Check those out as well! One additional note – our Storage Tech Insiders is going to be migrated and become a “tab” on Around the Storage Block (www.hpe.com/storage/blog) – that could happen any time in the next month so watch for that.
HPE Discover Virtual Experience
Be sure to register for Discover Virtual Experience that starts on June 23. I have a blog post that points you in the right direction so take a look at Everything storage at Discover Virtual Experience – and get it all for free! With your registration, HPE will donate $10 to your choice of one of 10 featured causes. Join us and give back to organizations helping people, businesses and communities around the world recover from the COVID-19 crisis. Read more about these organizations and the great work they are doing to support COVID-19 recovery around the world. (Terms and conditions apply.)
Lastly, I hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy. I never imaged when I wrote my last article that we’d be dealing with all the issues we have now, especially in the U.S., but wish you all peace and health.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.